Securus Technologies is headquartered in Dallas, Texas. It serves over 3,450 public safety, law enforcement and corrections agencies. It provides services that help to monitor and provide communications for 1,200,000 American inmates. Securus Technologies provides emergency response, public information, incident management, investigation, information management, biometric analysis, communication, inmate self-service, and monitoring products and services. Securus Technologies has built-in security elements in their prison phone systems that allow for a safer prison environment and also insures civilians are not as frequently targets of inmate planned criminal acts. By monitoring the phones, they have successfully thwarted many potential crimes and discovered intricate details about past crimes. Some examples of the types of issues they have unearthed follow:
- A corrupt prison staff member was ousted when a phone call was intercepted. A search warrant was issued and the contraband he was smuggling was discovered.
- Phone calls were intercepted that revealed several illicit behaviors ranging from access to cell phones, inmate alcohol and drug selling and its use, money transfers and selling prescription drugs.
- Built-in investigative tools allow for the discovery of details behind harassment complaints and potential security threats.
- Securus’ LBS software has been instrumental in helping law enforcement recover illicit drugs, money and assets tallying up to millions of dollars.
- A family was caught conspiring to hide the details of a crime when one sibling was overheard instructing the other on what to say regarding a criminal investigation.
Securus Technologies has been serving in its current capacity for more than 25 years. Their first inmate-facing operating system was released on 2015. Since then, they continue to build on the services offered to make the correction and law enforcement environment safer for everyone. Securus Technologies has made a concerted effort to acquire complementary businesses so that they can offer more comprehensive services to the population it serves. The built-in surveillance of the phone system is just one of the many beneficial services Securus one day hopes to provide.